Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Not Your Princess: Voices of Native American Women. Edited by LIsa Charleyboy and Mary Beth Leatherdale. Annick Press, 2017. $14.95 ages 16 and up

"What are you?
Excuse me?
You don't look all white.
I'm Indigenous.
Oh, well what kind of Native
are you?
Cree.
You don't really look it.
I am also Scottish and Metis
on my dad's side.
Were you raised on a reserve?"

Francine Cunningham describes her conversation with a massage therapist, and goes on:

"No, I was raised in the city.
Oh, well, I guess you're not a real one then, right?
...
What do you do?
I'm a student.
High school upgrading?
No, I'm getting my master's degree.
Well, good thing you got the taxpayers to pay for it,
right? Wish I could go to school for free.
...
Anyways, I guess you're one of the good ones, right?
What?
Well, you're not a drunk or anything, good for you.
...
Okay, turn over, let me get to your back."

Read that again, and then again.

This amazing book offers a look at the Indigenous experience from the point of view of women, young and older. It is a diverse collection; as diverse as the women whose work is included. Artwork, poetry, photography, news articles, op-eds, and memoir all find their way onto its pages, informing and enlightening readers.

Fifty-eight women have made contributions, and their vocations are as varied as can be: athletes, filmmakers, politicians, students, elders, artists, environmentalists, actors, photographers, physicians, and businesswomen. Their accomplishments, the obstacles they have faced, their life experiences and their hopes for the future are presented in four sections, beginning with The Ties That Bind Us. Their bonds with family memories and lessons are presented in various ways.

In the second section, It Could Have Been Me, the artists explore their many fears about becoming one of the missing and/or murdered Indigenous women. They also show concern for the actions and mindset that have led them to being victims.

"I don't want to be afraid
"All over the news there are Native girls being
hurt and abused. I feel afraid when I walk
around. But I don't want to be afraid.
I want to have good energy."
             -Imajyn Cardinal (Cree/Dene)

The third section is titled I Am Not Your Princess. It explores media that does not value the culture of Indigenous people, by stereotyping and negative representation. There is sadness, anger, and bewilderment.

"I've finished my lunch. I walk alone out of
the dorm cafeteria. The smell of fries and other
processed foods lingers in the air. I walk out the
door and down the paved sidewalk to my next class.
I have SURVIVED INVISIBILITY."
                                 -Cecelia Rose La Pointe (Ojibway/Metis) 

And finally, Pathfinders is a celebration of strong women who lead with distinction, honor, and hard work. Their stories are emotional, inspiring and worthy of attention.

It is a book written to speak of what has been, what is now, and where the future might lead. The design is dramatic, authentic, and full of observation and wisdom. It provokes thought and causes readers to reflect and consider alternate ways of looking at diversity, history and identity. You should read it, and then share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment