Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 1, 2018

This is NOT a Valentine, written by Carter Higgins and illustrated by Lucy Ruth Cummins. Chronicle, Raincoast. 2018. $20.99 ages 3 and up

"... since sparkle and pink
and glitter are not your
favorite colors. You like
the brown in the mud
puddle and fish-food
orange and that purpley-blue
on your nose when it's
a mitten kind of day. But
red is pretty good for
superheroes, and you are
my favorite one."

What is a valentine? Depends on who you are, I think. Some love them, some are embarrassed by them, some are not interested in them at all. I have a love-hate relationship with them. When I was teaching kindergarten, Valentine's Day was quite special for the kids. For older kids, it was not always that way.

The young man in this wonderful book wants his best friend to know that the many little gifts he gives are not to be considered a valentine at all. He shares what he has to share, and then clearly explains why she should not consider it a valentine. After all, most valentines are filled with candy, flowers, mushy words and the signature colors of red and pink. He wants her to know that

This is not a valentine,

since sugared hearts and suckers
give you cavities and bellyaches.
But I found this at the bottom
of my lunchbox.
You can have the jelly side,
cause I like peanut butter best.
Maybe I'll have some left over.
Maybe."

Suave, for sure! He knows his friend well, and realizes that she is worthy of so much more than a traditional valentine. He does everything in his power to prove it to her. 

Lucy Ruth Cummins uses 'brush marker, gouache, graphite, colored pencil, crayon, ink and charcoal' to create kid-centiric images that perfectly match the tone and appeal of Carter Higgins' text. A day at school is perfectly represented at every turn. So is friendship and genuine interest in that friend.

I have read it over and over again - to myself. Today I debut it as a readaloud on my visit to J R Reid School for World Read Aloud Day. I am eager to see what the kids say. Then, I will read it again when I visit other schools this month.       
                                                                   
                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment