Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

On a Magical Do-Nothing Day, written and illustrated by Beatrice Alemagna. Translation by Jill Davis. Harper, 2016. $21.99 ages 5 and up

"Mom sat at her desk,
quietly writing, while
I destroyed Martians.
Actually, I was just pressing the
same button over and over.

I wished Dad were here.

"What about a break from your game?" Mom growled.

I have had a few magical do-nothing days lately. I can tell you that I enjoyed them immensely. We too often don't take time to care for ourselves. With school starting and all the fall activities revving up, many parents and kids will begin to feel the tension that comes with always being on the go. I hope that this book will remind them of the joy to be found in sitting back and taking note of the joys inherent in NOT always having a plan!

It's the weekend. Time spent at the cabin should be fun; but, it's raining outside and there's nothing to do. Mom is busy at her desk, writing. Her daughter is languishing on the sofa, video game in hand. Tired of watching her daughter do 'nothing', the mom takes the game and puts it away. Before she heads for the outdoors, the girl finds the game and sets off.

Trusting her game to keep her from boredom in the rainy environment, the girl makes her way downhill to the pond and some very enticing rocks, just meant for jumping. Alas, the game falls into the pond!

"Without my game, I had nothing to do.
The rain felt like rocks were hitting me.
I was a small tree trapped outside in a hurricane."

Now that sounds like a girl with gumption. As she slowly follows snails along a path, she is fascinated by the smells, sights and sounds of her surroundings.

"I climbed a tree and looked out
as far as my eyes could see.

I breathed in air until my lungs
were bursting.

I drank the raindrops like an
animal would.

I noticed bugs I had never seen before."
I absolutely love the colors, textures and shapes found in the artwork. Using gouache, oil, collage, and wax pencils, Beatrice Alemagna invites readers into a natural, rainy world. A neon orange raincoat keeps our attention on the small girl as she experiences the beauty of a world she rarely notices. It is quite the magical place. The story is so beautifully told. In the end, it leaves readers back in the cabin where mother and daughter savor cups of steaming hot chocolate while not saying a word.

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment