Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Little Poems for Tiny Ears, written by Lin Oliver and illustrated by Tomie dePaola. Nancy Paulsen Books, Perguin. 2014. $18.00 6 months to 2 years

"My Tongue

My tongue is pink
And wet, I think.
In and out it goes.

It's in my mouth
A little south
Of where you'll find
my nose."

For twenty years, since it was first published, I have been adding A Child's Treasury of Nursery Rhymes (Kingfisher, 2004) to each basket of books I buy for parents to welcome their new baby. I love it because of my belief that all children should have the benefit of hearing rhyme and rhythm from the time of birth (and even before), because not enough children hear these nursery rhymes that have stood the test of time, and because the illustrations are so lovely and lyrical. Now, I can add another book of rhymes to that basket!

They are original, and lively, and written in the first person. This gives those who hear them such a strong connection to the many babies so beautifully drawn by Tomie dePaola. There are twenty-three lovely original rhymes that shed light on the many common events and objects that are each an important part of a small child's day:

"When I snooze
I don't wear shoes
Or visit zoos
Or kangaroos.
I close my eyes
and see blue skies
And dream sweet dreams
Until I rise."

Delightful! They are tiny treasures to share with sweet kisses and tender touches. The rhymes are varied in form and are a real joy to share. It won't be long until parents are amusing themselves and their little ones with the lilting sounds of language so beautifully crafted.

In his own inimitable way, the artist complements the verses with round faced cherubs drawn with soft transparent acrylics. Full of cozy warmth and set in square or rectangular frames, they convey a sense of happy contentment with the many discoveries being made.

I know that I am going to order multiple copies now so that I will have them on hand when I need them!


                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment