Total Pageviews

Friday, March 22, 2013

We Go Together! Written and illustrated Calef Brown. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Thomas Allen & Son. 2013. $11.99 ages 4 and up

"You always remember
the type of tea I enjoy,
how much milk,
which spoon to employ,
the correct teapot, 
and whether to steep it or not.

Noticing things, 
about me, especially, 
seems to be your speciality."  

I love this little book about friendship! While it would have been a great Valentine's Day gift for a good pal, it's a gift to be given anytime you are thinking about someone special. It is filled with memories, shared experiences, the things we do for those we love and much more. There are 14 poems and I have already chosen my favorites, and added a few to my reading journal.

It's great for little hands, and is filled with original and entertaining artwork ( a Calef Brown trademark). All characters are unusual, making them memorable and worth revisiting. They share double page spreads with poems about love and affection, about good company and the fun to be had together.

"Backup
If someone makes a crack
or puts me down,
you back me up
and stick around.
Always there
when I get in a tangle.
I lean on you
at a steep angle -
I'm so inclined.
A better friend
I'll never find."

It might be a tough read in a classroom setting because of its size, but is is just right to share sitting side by side with a friend who makes you feel the way these lively poems make you feel!




No comments:

Post a Comment