Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 17, 2012

a meal of the stars, written by Dana Jensen and illustrated by Tricia Tusa. Houghton Mifflin Books for Chidlren, Thomas Allen & Son. 2012. $18.99 ages 3 and up

"the
bongs
of
far-
off
bells
float
down
to
us
they
touch us
with
their songs"

There is little to tell you about this book, but for the fact that kids will love to read it. The poems are written from top to bottom, and bottom to top and sometimes it takes a little time to determine just how to read them. So, climbing or descending, readers will find delight in the world created by these clear, carefully worded poems.

I found myself intrigued by the idea of 'poems up and down'. As I pored over them, I knew that I wanted (and needed) to read them aloud. Then, I read them again. There is no punctuation and no capitalization...only lovely observations about the world of children. If you are looking to go back to a simpler time, when you found wonder in everything around you, this is the book to share.

Here's another:

"is
grandfather
my
than
taller
even
is
it
that
tall
so
is
clock
grandfather
grandfather's
my"

I have always had great admiration for Tricia Tusa's skill in creating the quietly beautiful world of children using watercolor and ink. Somehow the softness of the lines, the just right color choices and the perfection of each carefully placed image brings the words on the page to gentle and detailed life. Check each illustration carefully for familiar and wonderful scenes meant to capture our collective  imaginations. Creative and full of fun, these poems are sure to inspire young writers to try their hands at something brand new! 

No comments:

Post a Comment