Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Oh No, George! Written and illustrated by Chris Haughton. Candlewick, Random House. 2012. $18.00 ages 3 and up

"George sees something
in the kitchen.

It's a cake!
I said I'd be good.
George thinks,
but I LOVE cake."

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't fall in love with George. I mean, take a close look. He's huge, he has achingly winsome eyes, a broad and lengthy purple nose and his ears stick out! What's not to love?

You must want to get to know him. He wants so badly to be good; he sounds very convincing when Harry tells him that he is going out. Left alone, circumstances rapidly change. He wants to be good as he promised. Did anyone tell him about the cake? HE LOVES CAKE!

Poor George! Before he knows it, the cake is in his mouth and then his stomach. Something else quickly catches his attention. What will he do about the cat? HE LOVES TO PLAY WITH THE CAT!

Everywhere he looks, temptation looks right back at him. By the time Harry comes back home, the place is chaos. George is penitent:

"I said I'd be good.
George thinks.
I hoped I'd be good,
but I wasn't."

His peace offering is his favorite toy. Will that be enough?

Harry suggests a walk. As they travel along together, it seems that George has learned his lesson.
Or has he?

What a rousing readaloud this is! Kids will love the humor and be captivated by the brilliant colors, the hangdog hound, and the mischief that seems too attractive to ignore. I love the bold backgrounds, the concise text, the personality that is George. You can likely compare him to someone in your life. I've met a few of those kids who love to chase cats, eat cake and dig in the dirt. And, what's the appeal in a garbage can? Only George knows at this moment. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment