Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wherever You Are, written and illustrated by Nancy Tillman. Feiwel and Friends, H B Fenn, 2010. $18.99 ages 2 and up


"And if someday you're lonely,
or someday you're sad,
or you strike out at baseball,
or think you've been bad...

just lift you your face,
feel the wind in your hair.
That's me, my sweet baby,
my love is right there."


As we draw nearer to Valentine's Day and all  that love means to different people, I find myself growing disenchanted with the retail hype that it has become. Everywhere, we are inundated with this or that thing that you ought to 'buy' to let your loved ones know that you LOVE them. Really? I'll bet that showing that love in other meaningful ways would be appreciated so much more! What about time spent together, a long and newsy letter, a phone call for nothing other to say I Love You?

Love for your children is a never ending story. I have a magnet on my fridge that reads 'Making the decision to have a child is momentous...It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.' (Elizabeth Stone)

Isn't that so true? Although my kids are grown, gone and living happily with their life partners, they are ever on my mind, always in my thoughts:

"If you're still my small babe
or you're all the way grown,
my promise to you
is you're never alone."

In her newest book, Nancy Tillman evokes a gentle and reassuring message for those we love. No matter where they go, our love is always with them. That love is eternal, strong, and a treasure. The child in the story is joyful, adventurous, playful. The rhythms are emotional and reassuring. The artwork is filled with light, movement and an always present luminescence that portrays the love that follows this child every minute of each day.

Now, there's a Valentine gift...a book and time to read it over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment